You’re invited to volunteer with Alchemist CDC!
Current volunteer opportunities:
If you like meeting new people and hanging out at the farmers’ market, this is a great opportunity to do that, while making farmers’ markets a more equitable resource for low-income populations.
Alchemist CDC is operating CalFresh processing at multiple Farmers’ Markets in Sacramento. [The CalFresh program offers qualifying lower income individuals financial assistance in purchasing food for themselves and their families.] Farmers’ Markets are a great asset to communities, and can lead to improved health for area residents. By making it easier for lower-income populations to purchase food at farmers’ markets, these community assets will become more equitable and accessible to all individuals.
We need your help to staff our CalFresh processing booths. You must be at least 18 years of age. You must attend a 1.5-hour training, and commit to volunteering at least four times over a four-month period (Most market days start at 7:30am, and you can expect to be finished by 1pm). Punctuality and reliability a MUST. (You should be a morning person, as most farmers’ markets open at 8am.)
- Florin Sears Farmers’ Market: Operating Thursdays year round, 8am-noon at the Florin Sears Store, Florin Rd. and 65th St. – front parking lot, Sacramento
- Central: Downtown State Parking Lot Farmers’ Market: Operating Sundays year round, 8am-noon, at 8th & W Streets, Sacramento
- Midtown Farmers’ Market: Operating Saturdays 8am-1pm at 20th between J and L Streets
- Laguna Gateway: Laguna Blvd. & Big Horn Blvds. in Elk Grove: Operating Saturdays year round, 8am-noon.
- Sunrise Farmers’ Market: Sunrise Light Rail Station parking lot on Sunrise at Folsom in Rancho Cordova: Operating Saturdays year round, 8am-noon.
- Country Club Plaza: Operating Saturdays 8am-noon, Watt and El Camino (Butano Dr. Parking Lot)
- Galt Market (non-certified produce market): Operating Tuesdays and Wednesdays year round in the city of Galt. (Market shifts are 6:30am-10:30am or 10:30am-3pm) – Especially need Spanish speakers.
- The Promenade Farmers’ Market: Operating Saturdays June through Oct., 8:00am – noon, at (Target, Sports Authority) 3637 N. Freeway Drive (Off of Gateway Blvd.in N. Natomas)
- Cesar Chavez Plaza Farmers’ Market: Operating Wednesdays May-October 10am-1:30pm at 10th & J Streets
- Fremont Park Farmers’ Market: Operating Tuesdays May through September, 10:00am-1:30pm at 16th and P Streets
- Mack Road Farmers’ Market: Operating Fridays May through September 8am-noon at 6100 Mack Road
If you would like more information or are interested in volunteering, please contact us at email@example.com.
Building Healthy Community Retail
If you have a background in nutrition or education, you may be interested in volunteering to help with educational store tours as part of our Building Healthy Community Retail program. If this seems like the program for you, contact Latisha@alchemistcdc.org for more information.